Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Little Spring Cleaning

Need some Motivation to get those cupboards ship shape?

Here's what I have been working on the last little bit. I have found that since I have no control over some major things in my life…(see My Story if you don't know what I am talking about), that cleaning gave me some sense of control. Until the kids come home that is! Organizing my cupboards has been some more therapy. I listen to songs that let the tears flow, or uplift my spirit, or just get the cleaning "juices" flowing. You know what I am talking about. What's your favourite "getcha going" song?

So, welcome to what was my mess. (I am pretty sure my Mom or Grandma said "Don't air your dirty laundry", but what about my drawers? =)

Firstly, what I did was take pictures on my phone of the area(s) I was working on. That way when I went to the store I did not have to rely on memory to figure out what I had and what needed organizing.

Secondly, find your containers. If you have baskets, storage boxes at home, great! Use them! I did not. So off to the dollar store and Ikea I went. These places seemed to have the most inexpensive storage solutions.



Thirdly, now -  pull everything out! (I like to finish projects before going on to the next. If this is not you, then I strongly suggest you only take out what you can tackle in the amount of time you have. i.e. - an hour, all afternoon, etc. Try not to bite off more than you can chew. That will only make you discouraged.)

Fourthly,  GET EXCITED! You've got the tunes on, or the baby is sleeping. This time is yours. WHEW! And what an accomplishment it will be and you will feel so put together when it is all done.

Now, get those piles in order. Blue bag for recycle,  another bag or box for give away and lastly a garbage bag for garbage.

Lastly, CLEAN - wipe down the cupboard/shelf/drawer etc.

BEFORE
(Organizing my bathroom cupboard)


Try to put like items together. Things that get used the most. Find a filing plastic container for your important papers. Memory boxes. (remember, don't keep everything. Not everything is important. When Brian died he took NOTHING with him. At first, everything seems important, but let it go. Try to keep only a few memorabilia of your past. Truth is, you'll maybe look at it every other year or you may forget you even had it to begin with.)


AFTER

I forgot to take a before picture of my pantry, but here is the end result.

(see where we ended up putting our growth chart? Even Grandma's and Grandpa's are on it!) 


(Because our food needs change, I think I will re-organize this pantry far more often than I have in the past.)

BEFORE

Here is my closet before...



We actually used some of these wooden boxes in the garage. (That is still a project in motion for organizing…)

AFTER




And lastly, my laundry room… OI! Hold onto your hats. The mess before may blow you away. 


Little bit of laundry, sewing, ironing, crafts, decorations, yup… it's all there.






I made this by copying clean & scentsible on the web. She inspired me to get my spring cleaning done!


Fabric Flower Tutoiral is here from Freckled Laundry.


Again, loved Jenn's soap idea and revisited the Cricket for the lettering.

$1 store containers…love it!

Easy access for kids to help with the clean up.

Now, as for that garage….

Until next time, Let's remember to be happy on our journey. =}





No comments:

Post a Comment