Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Best Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever!!

Here is what is sitting on my counter tempting me…well, I helped the kids make it, so yes, I put the temptation there….

Grab your pencils, markers, or crayons or just hit print….




"Mom's Chocolate Cake" (from a family circle magazine like, 8-10 years ago)

Makes: 16 servings (not at my house, but this is what it says… ;)
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 350' for 40 minutes (caution do not over bake a chocolate cake)

Cake:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder ( I like to use Dutch cocoa powder)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar

Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine at room temperature
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.Heat oven to 350'. Grease a 9 X 13 inch pan.
2. Cake -Seriously, this cake is so easy… I just blend the butter, then sugar,  and really just keep blending as I add ingredients into my mixer. I do the milk first, however, and set it aside to go lumpy…then add it in the order listed above.
3. Pour it into the greased pan, and bake 40 min at 350' or until the toothpick comes out clean, or if you like it fudgier, have a LITTLE batter stick to the toothpick. Cool entire pan on a cooling rack. Do not ice/frost until cake is cool. No brainer, but yeah, it'll all run down the sides if you do.
4. Frosting:
Beat together the butter and cocoa powder, then add icing sugar. Beat on medium so you don't add bubbles. Then add your vanilla and a little milk at at time. The more you beat, the softer your icing will be as the butter warms up. (BTW Safeway has a low fat butter…)
5. Frost and you can refrigerate to firm up the cake. I find the cake goes so much more moister when it has had the icing on it for a little while. YUMMY!

Enjoy everyone! And thanks to Ilona J. Smith from Hendersonville, NC who donated this recipe to family circle  years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment