Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Birthday Remembered

I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday. We were away, but I have many pictures I wanted to share from before and during the holidays.

We were off snowboarding/skiing and it was wonderful weather for us. Before Christmas, it was Brian's birthday. So, on that most difficult day I made his favourite cheesecake and went cross country skiing like we used to enjoy.  I opened up his play list and listened to his wide variety of tunes. Leonard Cohen (not a favourite of mine), U2 (his favourite), Pink Floyd, Ok Go, Feist, REM, Van Morrison, Radiohead, the Beatles, The Wooden Sky, Lhasa, Sam Roberts, Bjork, Buena Vista Social Club, Johnny Cash, ABBA,Jason Mraz, M.I.A., Madeleine Peyroux, Sting, (The Police), Rufus Wainright, The Flying Lizards, Queen, the Notting Hill Soundtrack, (he flew Sean Kingston but did not have him on his playlist), well…he had a wide variety of tastes.

His whipped cheesecake favorite is always a hit. This was my first year making them into tiny little circles. I even made a raspberry sauce and used a cheese cloth to strain out all the seeds! Then our eldest daughter and I made a baked chocolate cheesecake and cut that into little circles. I was super excited to get my biscuit cutters from William's Sonoma, and got a little tutorial on the cutting as well. (Love that store!)  To top things off I also made my first batch of Nanaimo squares this year. Here are some pictures to enjoy.


The trick to cutting the cheesecake is putting waxed paper under when you get started. Then freeze, let cool a smidgen before cutting.







A little cupcake treat too.




Our front door with my cross country skis.


Look what I get to wake up to.



                                                      Right out our back door.





It was a great day.











No comments:

Post a Comment