Thursday, October 10, 2013

Homemade Soft Taco Shells

I realize these have cornmeal and cornstarch and many are opposed to such things these days, however, we like them and I KNOW what's in them!  :)

Homemade Soft Taco Shells (given to me from a friend but we adapted it, somewhat)

MIX:
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup skim milk

THEN ADD:
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

FOLLOW BY ADDING:
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp olive oil

I have found that using my Kitchen Aid was (obviously) more productive in keeping all the ingredients mixed together than using a whisk…




Heat frying pan and spray with olive oil. On my stove, I set the burner to 8. (Which is not quite the highest heat). I use my soup ladle to get the right amount in my pan. They need to be thicker than you might do when preparing crêpes.

Put in your protein in with whatever veggies/toppings you desire, tuck up the bottom and then roll.


We use ground turkey (beef, chicken), or left over chopped up chicken (beef) with homemade taco seasoning. (from Tosca Reno's recipe found in - Oxygen Fitness Magazine listed below)Yummy! 



Taco Seasoning
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp each onion and garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp crumbled, dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment