Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Brye's Airplane Crash & our Trip There



I have thought about it and just feel the time is not yet to post any crash site pictures. However, I will share with you some other moments from our trip.

We landed in Abbotsford airport, (man, that has got to be my favourite airport! I could never get lost in that one! ;) - to the fresh smell of trees, flowers, and farm. (hee hee)

Front of terminal
Backside of terminal



(I know that some fellow Conair people took my Brian here for lunch when he first came up.) 

The following morning the chief pilot and good friend to my late husband, Brian - and now new and dear friend to us,  (we will call him Mr. A) gave us another tour ...






[Inside one of the hangers looking at this huge beast, - which I believe is one of their Canadair CL215T's that can scoop up 5455 litres of water in 12 seconds! In a very small opening.]


A view of more CL215T's while taxing- in the co-pilot's seat. 


…and then soon after Mr. A took us up in a Piper Aerostar PA-60


the Piper Aerostar





inside the cockpit of the piper


Kevin took this one of me up front and this rock formation.


The weather was good, the threat of rain held back while we took to the skies. There was a bit of smog. It was the following day when the moisture came. Kevin and I got caught in this shower and were soaked from head to toe once we dropped off the car (that our friends were so kind to lend us) and ran to the terminal. It was such a sweet, warm rain that it has now become a warm fun memory.



The car we borrowed…just kidding!



 Mr. A explained that the Herc's (Hercules) were all taped up to protect them while they sat there…resting :)



(told you there were farms close by…)




A smoggy but otherwise beautiful mountain view.


Just look at those mountains by the runway. No wonder Brian was so excited to work here.

I was given a blessing - during the flight I was calm and at peace. I wondered where Brian was. I knew he wouldn't miss a chance to be in an airplane! I looked over and saw Mr. A shiver and let out a breath. He didn't say, I didn't ask, but I am sure he felt Brian too, sitting right up front with us.

Afterwards, in the parking lot was when my first tearful explosion hit. Kevin was there to hold me close and let me cry it out. There have been other moments, of course, of tears and pain. Seeing the life I was so close to enjoying, in the place we so wanted to be, with people I am sure we would have connected with and become great friends with. 

I am grateful to Conair and Mr. A for allowing me the opportunity to see this holy place. A place where Brian left his mortal existence and entered into a more holy sphere. I am grateful to my husband Kevin who is far more understanding than 90% of the world. He has no jealousy. There is no threat to him when I cry. He has big strong shoulders for me to rest my head on. He "gets it". 

Thanks also go out to Mr. A's family who are always so generous and kind, and to new friends we met while there, (the mechanic who worked on Brian's plane, in fact.) 

I know that love is truly God's greatest gift. 

Here are some more photos you may enjoy...



Take a look at this airplane about to touch down...

Voila!



The cadets were up in gliders that day too.



Close to the crash site.



A favorite rock formation of Mr. A. Kevin and I thought it was pretty fantastic too.




Kevin and I stopped here at the Sweet Spot Cafe in Mission, B.C. 




Just a look at how wonderfully lush this neighbourhood was. 

So, with each day (and each mistake I make) I try a little harder to forgive, a little harder to make things right, with a hope for others hearts to be soft and open to do the same, so that we may all...

Be Happy in Our Journey


No comments:

Post a Comment