Monday, July 30, 2012

The Pilot, the Hero, the Daddy, the Husband, the Man

Remembering Brian...

(I post this now, because I may be too sad, and unable to post it tomorrow)



I have always posted happy thoughts, and experiences on my blog. This blog is how you perceive it. Without pain, how can we appreciate the joys that were or are to come?

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." 2 Nephi 2:11

"What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?" Job2:10





Brian was my husband, but more than that he was my very best friend. He was an amazing husband, father, friend, brother, child. His accomplishments were many, as were his adventures. From his many wins as a cross country runner and mountain biker (doing a 24hr team race by himself!) to his travels around the world (riding on his bike of course) and meeting the Dalai Lama, Former President Clinton, former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, the skating pair Salé and Pelletier, as well as singer Sean Kingston. He led an incredible life. He was humble and quiet, gentle and so very loving.



On this day, we remember him. He sacrificed his life to save others. While flying for Conair, putting out a fire on Jackass Mountain (yes, I'm sure he chuckles about that himself these days, silly Brye) his plane crashed and he was suddenly taken from us on July 31, 2010. We miss him always, he will always be a part of us.


The plane that he went down in.






A small peek into the sweet Daddy he was to his girls.




On that note I leave you all with a quote - maybe it will help others who also mourn - from the book Sunset by S. Michael Wilcox:












A picture of Brye at his first paid flying job at Eden North flying sky divers.


A Personal Journey
I did not know I had so many tears. I have tried to hide most of them. Not that I am ashamed of tears, but seeing them in my eyes brings them too often to the cheeks of others, and I would not spread sorrow too widely. Yet, there is a cleansing of the soul through the eyes. Tears release sadness that must not dominate, leaving only love, somewhat older, wiser, calmer, yet renewed, reborn, freshened, enlarged, flowering. The soul was not made by God to be sorrow's home. He would have us be happy. We open the doors and windows and let sorrow out. We learn from the memory of its visits, then let the breezes of continued living clear the air. We learn to breathe again, to walk in the sunlight. Love, joy, peace, each other are the true inhabitants, and we would not crowd them unnecessarily.
S. Michael Wilcox




3 comments:

  1. Great tribute Annette,

    Today I grabbed a large Second Cup Paradiso (Brian would always order that) and smiled to myself as I headed for Terwillegar. I hit my favourite section of trail and stopped at Brian's favourite spot, a turn in the trail that would surprise you that you were in city. quiet, wooded peaceful. As I stared at a small squirrel quite content on staring back at me I had a moment of refection, a thankful one for knowing him. As a father, husband, a mentor and friend Brian was a example to me in all of those areas. He is missed.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your great love is shown through your words....how beautiful you express it - directly from your heart.


    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette, you are such an admirable, graceful person. Your love for living and life have been a shining example for me, and despite only meeting Brian a couple times it was so clear that he was a smart, compassionate, special person who also took great joy in life.

    ReplyDelete