Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Special Birthday

My homemade Skor cheesecake was decadently delicious! Very rich. Years ago, when I worked at Red Robin, there was a fine young gentleman named Doug who was a cook there. He created the recipe, (which I have only used in the past few years...always too afraid to tackle such a feat) So, I will share with you his icing recipe and how I decorated the finished cake.

(I always use a spring form pan for cheesecake btw).When the cheesecake comes out of the oven, it sinks in the middle.  I used to worry and bother about trimming the sides down. (Plus, I enjoyed eating these parts!) But now, as you will shortly see, I ended up putting a "fill" in the middle - so the sinking really doesn't matter.

Okay...

Here are my ingredients, howbeit, I forgot to show milk and vanilla...


(See my Bosch?! I LOVE this thing. Yes, folks, it may not be as showy as those kitchen aid ones, but this is my power tool of the kitchen. These babies last 30 years +...Well worth the investment. )



Taa daa! See? Magic! Milk and vanilla!

The icing sugar is actually twice what you see there for a single recipe.

"Doug's Icing"
2 /3 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
6 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
(He suggests 1 tbsp of corn syrup-optional. Since it's optional I left it out.)
5 to 6 tbsp milk

I just throw it all in my magical Bosch and mix until nice and creamy. Always, always put your milk in last. You may find you hardly need any at all. If you over do it on the milk, you may end up needing to add more cocoa and icing sugar.

I did double my icing sugar recipe, but had plenty left over for kids to eat/play with.
You can see how it sunk in the middle. (And a child ate a piece, but never mind that... :)

Ice the middle, not too thin. This will hold your "filling" as I like to call it.

I used a Wilton disposable, recyclable bag with a 2D tip. You could also use a 2A tip or any other large tip that you prefer.
All along the edge touch your tip to cake, all the while squeezing the bag, (with bag squeezed and top twisted closed) gently lift while turning bag (moving arm in a circle) and creating a small flower. Stop squeezing and press tip down, Then lift. 

These skor Chipits pieces filled the whole top. Yup, I used the whole bag.

I used only one chocolate bar to decorate the top, but I could have used two.

We worried a bit about the smoke detector...Love you, my hubbie- Kevie!

This was the only remaining piece. Nobody complained that the sides were not even. Perfection to me is when everyone is satisfied. And I would say that was achieved. 
And remember...

"Be Happy in the Journey!"
:)


1 comment:

  1. love your site and appreciate not just giving the recipe but the ongoing pics of progress
    well done

    ReplyDelete